Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Good For You, Anita!

Responding to a new memoir from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Anita, whose dramatic testimony regarding sexual harassment while she worked for him at the federal Equal Opportunity Commission almost derailed his nomination, spoke out forcefully in New York Times op ed this morning, terming Thomas' characterization of the event in question "The Smear This Time:"

ON Oct. 11, 1991, I testified about my experience as an employee of Clarence Thomas’s at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

I stand by my testimony.

Justice Thomas has every right to present himself as he wishes in his new memoir, “My Grandfather’s Son.” He may even be entitled to feel abused by the confirmation process that led to his appointment to the Supreme Court.

But I will not stand by silently and allow him, in his anger, to reinvent me.


In using the term "smear this time," Hill refers to the frantic effort that Republicans waged at the time of Thomas' confirmation to cast her as unbalanced and worse.

Read more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Anita Hill. Some things DON'T go better with Coke!